Semantics Essay Research Paper
Semanticss Essay, Research Paper- Abstraction & # 8211 ; to travel to a different degree, go forthing features out- Agreements & # 8211 ; harmoniousness of sentiments or feelings- Allness Attitude & # 8211 ; person who believes they know ALL about a subject or object- Analogy & # 8211 ; a complex metaphor when all points are expressed as words- Argument from absurd extremes & # 8211 ; utilizing unrealistic extremes in statements- Argument signifier definitions & # 8211 ; utilizing your ain definitions of words in an statement- Argumentum ad hominem & # 8211 ; statement to the adult male- Aristotelean System & # 8211 ; the system of idea originally brought upon by Aristotle- Autosuggestion & # 8211 ; reiterating small expressions to oneself such as & # 8220 ; I like me & # 8221 ;- & # 8220 ; Bandwagon & # 8221 ; technique & # 8211 ; the human desire to make what everyone else is making- Beging the inquiry & # 8211 ; & # 8220 ; I don & # 8217 ; t like radishes because the gustatory sensation atrocious & # 8221 ; ( obvious )- & # 8220 ; Big prevarication & # 8221 ; technique & # 8211 ; if a prevarication is absurd plenty, everyone will presume it is true- & # 8220 ; Card stacking & # 8221 ; technique & # 8211 ; utilizing Numberss and figures to turn out an statement- Classifying & # 8211 ; to set an object into a group with a specific label- & # 8220 ; Common enemy & # 8221 ; technique & # 8211 ; frightening people utilizing an enemy that scares most everyone- Concrete poesy & # 8211 ; poesy in which form has to make with its significance- Intension & # 8211 ; the emotions that are brought upon by a word- Contexts & # 8211 ; the mode in which a word is used- Dating & # 8211 ; offering day of the months to the descriptions of objects or people- Indication & # 8211 ; the dictionary definition of a word- & # 8220 ; Ear mindedness & # 8221 ; & # 8211 ; person who learns easy by hearing- Ecology & # 8211 ; survey of how living things are relates to their environment- & # 8220 ; Either-or-thinking & # 8221 ; & # 8211 ; believing that there are merely two solutions to a job- Elementalism & # 8211 ; inclination to allow words do us believe of things in isolation- & # 8220 ; Etc. & # 8221 ; & # 8211 ; & # 8230 ; ..
so on and so on- Euphemism & # 8211 ; permutation of an unoffending term for an violative 1- Extensional devices & # 8211 ; little add-ons to composing and talking to do yourself clear- Extensional orientation & # 8211 ; the universe outside our caput- Eye mindedness & # 8211 ; being able to larn easy by seeing- False analogy & # 8211 ; an analogy that does non adequately compare two objects- Faulty contradiction & # 8211 ; when both parties in an statement are incorrect- Faulty syllogism & # 8211 ; utilizing false accusals to turn out a point- General semantics & # 8211 ; the group of rules that Korzybski coined- Glittering generalizations & # 8211 ; statements that frequently re brassy to do up for deficiency of substance- Gobbledegook & # 8211 ; composing that does non show itself fluently or intelligibly- Grammarian & # 8211 ; a individual who surveies grammar- Guilty by association & # 8211 ; guilty of a offense because of association with the true guilty party- Indexing & # 8211 ; giving a label to objects in order to avoid confusion- Inferences & # 8211 ; an premise made from statements or remarks made- Institute of General Semantics & # 8211 ; a major semantic institute in Connecticut- Intensional orientation & # 8211 ; the universe within our caputs- International Society for General Semantics & # 8211 ; a major semantic institute in California- Jumping to decisions & # 8211 ; measuring a state of affairs before sing all grounds- Korzybski, Alfred & # 8211 ; a celebrated semanticist/philosopher who studied many semantic subjects- Torah of idea & # 8211 ; simple syllogisms such as & # 8220 ; If anything is A, so it is A & # 8221 ;- Lexicographer & # 8211 ; one who makes long lists of words and definitions- Magic Words & # 8211 ; words used chiefly for their intensions ; frequently lack meaningful indications ; they are used to acquire us to act in certain ways-marvously effectual.- Maps and districts & # 8211 ; the words, thoughts, and images in our caputs are like maps of the districts that lie outside our teguments.- Meanings of words & # 8211 ; significances are non found in words- they are found in people & # 8217 ; s caputs. ( there is a difference between word significances and peoples significances )- Metaphor & # 8211 ; involves the comparing of two things that are basically unlike- it is a comparing brand by the head, non by detecting true similarities in the extensional universe.- Multivalent orientations & # 8211 ; semantic saneness depends on this because it reminds us that we can non cognize all the possibilities in any state of affairs.- Mumbo jumbo & # 8211 ; sort of verbal juju that pollutes advertisement and politics-often really meaningless.- Name-calling & # 8211 ; smearing of 1s oppositions with negative labels is an old tradition in American political relations.
– Non-Aristotelian system & # 8211 ; the Torahs of idea are associated with the Greek philosopher Aristotle. Korzybski believed that most traditional thought reflected what he called an Aristotelean system. To depict his ain modern, scientific system, he chose the term non-Aristotelian, or non-a.- Non-verbal communicating & # 8211 ; pass oning without words.- Observations & # 8211 ; & # 8220 ; facts & # 8221 ; we know from personal experience.- Operational definitions & # 8211 ; tells us what to make to see the thing defined.- Percept & # 8211 ; the manner we gain cognition of the universe through our five senses.
– & # 8220 ; Plain folks & # 8221 ; technique & # 8211 ; utilizing a common touch to appeal to the mean individual.- Post hoc ergo propter hoc & # 8211 ; after the fact, hence because of the fact.- Projection & # 8211 ; & # 8220 ; throwing ain map onto the district & # 8221 ; seeing the district to be like his peculiar map.- Propaganda & # 8211 ; & # 8220 ; good word with a bad repute & # 8221 ; a tool for good or bad intents ( public dealingss ) .- Propaganda techniques & # 8211 ; & # 8220 ; soft soap, large prevarication, glistening generalization transportation, testimonial, citing out of context, name naming, field folks, fancy figures, card stacking, bandwagon, repeat, entreaty to fear and prejudice, two-valued orientation, selling the image, the common enemy, showing illations, word magic. & # 8221 ;- Psitiacism & # 8211 ; production of meaningless address sounds to suit the juncture.
– Quotes- indicate that we can non cognize all about the obscure words that frequently mean different things to different people.- Hypostatization & # 8211 ; turning a & # 8220 ; non-thing & # 8221 ; into a & # 8220 ; thing & # 8221 ; . We reify when we think of thoughts and qualities as & # 8220 ; existent & # 8221 ; things, objects to see and touch.- Reports & # 8211 ; statements that are far removed from our ain experience. Historical & # 8220 ; facts & # 8221 ;- Science and Sanity & # 8211 ; book in which Korzybski set forth the group of rules that he termed General Semantics.- Self-adjustment & # 8211 ; each individual & # 8217 ; s individualism should be recognized.
He himself should non seek the impossible to be a transcript of person else. He should recognize that what entitles him to esteem are his private mental maps.- Self-fulfilling prognostication & # 8211 ; term or statement that becomes true in the hereafter merely because we believe it to be true today.
– Self-image & # 8211 ; every person knows himself in the same manner he knows anything else, through the mental maps in his caput.- Selling the image & # 8211 ; politicians put images before issues- they vote for persons, non messages.- Semantic reactions & # 8211 ; his complete reaction as a complicated human being- it may or may non include words.- Semantics & # 8211 ; the survey of the relationships that exist among human existences, the word symbols they use, and the universe they live in.- Sign & # 8211 ; command an action or denote the presence of a individual or thing.- Soft soap technique & # 8211 ; flattery, insincere regards from advertisement.
– Space signals & # 8211 ; & # 8220 ; formal and informal & # 8221 ; distance, size signals, used to pass on with out words.- Stereotyped believing & # 8211 ; presuming that a cause has merely one of import consequence.- Structural differential & # 8211 ; device to demo the many complicated relationships among human existences, words, and things.- Syllogism & # 8211 ; time-honoured signifier of statement with two premises or statements and a decision.
– Symbol & # 8211 ; words of other devices that stand for something else.- Testimony & # 8211 ; recommendation by a well-known individual.- Time signals & # 8211 ; clip can be used to pass on, frequently we speak of in footings of money. & # 8220 ; Spend our clip, salvage our clip, blow our time.
& # 8221 ;- Transportation & # 8211 ; if a politician makes a address under a image of Abraham Lincoln, his purpose is obvious- to reassign some of the famousness to himself.- Triangulation & # 8211 ; we miss complications unless we force ourselves to look for 3 manner forms, non merely 2 manner forms- Two-valued orientation & # 8211 ; a serious sort of mental disablement either- or- thought.- Unconscious communicating & # 8211 ; a critical inquiry about unconscious behaviour is what other people project into out actions.- Value judgement & # 8211 ; sentiments, rarely factual but are thought to be true- Verbal barking & # 8211 ; usage of words as weapons- used either to affect or scare others.- Verbal pollution & # 8211 ; like the air we breathe, our verbal environment can go polluted- it fills us with false frights, falsify our ability to believe directly.- Verbal inquiries & # 8211 ; the reply depended non on the grounds but on the definition of inherent aptitude.Word magic & # 8211 ; words selected merely to accommodate propagandistic purposes- convey sentiments and emotions.